Friday, March 18, 2005

All Good Things...

...must end, including Spring Break. Spent the week with family in town (wife's sister and her family). Had some good times, didn't relax as much as I wanted to, but glad to have some time free of intense brain effort.

Not that there wasn't work to be done. Need to select textbooks for fall. That was a prime objective for this week. And it didn't get done. I might try to do some of it tomorrow. And I need to write one more scene for the script of this summer's film. But that will likely wait until next week.

Bad news -- my migraines are back. I'm a cluster-headache sufferer (cluster headaches are a variety of migraine wherein the poor sap gets a series of migraine-like headaches all in a 'cluster' (duh) and then is headache-free for a while. Well, right before we moved, my headaches hit with a vengeance. I presumed stress was affecting the number and intensity (I was getting them every day, sometimes two or three times a day -- and these are debilitating headaches, where I have to go to bed, no light or sound, nausea, intense pain in the left lobe. You'd think I had a tumor -- it hurts that bad).

So I haven't had them since the move. Now, about seven months later, they're back. Normally, they're kind of seasonal for me. So it's not a big surprise that they're back. Disappointing, but not a surprise. And of course, I haven't found a new doctor here yet (I haven't even looked). I need to find one that knows what these things are and will prescribe Imitrex inhalers. Only thing that works for me.

The real challenge will be how these affect my classes. If I get one in the middle of the day, teaching will be, pardon the pun, a real headache. Don't know if I can do it. But I don't want to lose too many days to headaches... we'll just have to see what happens. TOo abd I can't schedule these things.

This week's NetFlix update: Just got a couple more DVDs in... Code 46, a sci-fi thing with Tim Robbins that I read about when it first came out, and Soderbergh's Schizopolos, which I somehow never got around to seeing. Just sent back to NetFlix: The Specials, a low budget superhero comedy about 'the sixth or seventh best superhero team in the world.' Short review: it was sort of funny, but a lot of the jokes fell flat because of timing and telegraphing the punchlines. Honestly, the low budget hurt it, because even though these heroes had stupid powers, you really wanted to see them use those powers (actually, now that I write it, I realize that we want to see them in action because the powers are silly). And you just never see anything. It might as well be a comedy about a dysfunctional family. Which I suppose it is. It just wasn't that funny. But not a total loss. And it was only about 80 minutes long, which counts as a plus when the movie isn't exactly humming along and when you want to watch it while the baby is napping.

Speaking of babies, The Littlest TerminalMFA Child (Littlest from now on) turned one. Much rejoicing. Especially since she spent several weeks in the NICU when she was born due to a fairly rare oxygen-related problem. Did some thinking back on those days, when my brain was fogged with grief, worry, and tears... can't believe it was a year ago. And she is in excellent health now, with no ill effects, which is in itself a bit of a miracle.

That's it for now.

3 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that "Littlest" is doing well.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar problem with headaches/migraine. Imitrex does a nice job on them - but I really hate taking meds (some irrational struggle with control, maybe). Have you tried Excedrin for Migraine? It's worked nicely for me a few times when I took it therapeutically at the first sign of migraine. It's not Imitrex... but it might help buffer your pain. Oxygen is key. If you're holding up in a dark, quiet room - make sure you have nice air flow. Back down on the deck late at night in the breeze is magic for migraines :)

Oh... and sex. Sex helps. Good sex, anyway. :)

So happy Littlest is doing so well. :)

Does your wife and family read your blog?

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

I have tried Excedrin and Excedrin Migraine -- and you're right, they help if taken right at the start. I'm always resistant to do so, thinking it is just a tension headache or sinuses, and then I regret it later.

Sex is really good for headaches? Never knew that.

No, my wife and fam don't read the blog -- I keep it secret -- so I can work out things on here that I might not want to speak out in the real world

 

Post a Comment

<< Home