Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Something Kind of Cool...

Okay, little moments like this are nice. I was walking back to my office tonight from a dinner (ongoing series of New Faculty events, held monthly, which has been kind of nice). Anyway, walking back from that with another member of my department, having a discussion about tenure requirements, when out of the corner of my eye I see a group of students on the quad setting up lights for a video shoot. And I realize: those are my students, shooting an exercise I assigned. Here it is, a cold night -- not frigid, but pretty cold, especially for this part of the country -- and my students are out shooting their assignments.

And I know this is silly, but it just struck -- a moment of, I don't know, perhaps leaning towards pride? It just felt nice knowing they were actually taking my assignment seriously. Not that I could know they were ACTUALLY taking it seriously, but it seemed like it, and they had all their video equipment, and well, it was just a moment.

Now I'm embarrassed. But it made me feel good to be a teacher.

2 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Awwwww....

;)

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

Hey, I admitted up front it was kinda schmaltzy -- don't make fun :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home