Monday, September 26, 2005

Jury Duty

in the midst of trying to get the cut done and keep up with my classes, i got called for jury duty. i was actually called for this summer, when we had just wrapped shooting and i had to go out of town. so i got it delayed til today.

went in, sat there for an hour waiting on things to happen. i'll tell you, i am no elitist. but i was astonished at the sheer stupidity of some of the people sitting around me. scary. and they wouldn't stop talking. and lady behind me? you, with the cough and the really loud voice? no one would have minded you staying home and claiming illness.

so when i finally reported to the court to which i was assigned, i learned that the case (a DUI) was postponed because the arresting officer had been assigned out of the area briefly and was thus unavailable. so we were out of there by 10:15am. i was all prepared to do my civic duty, but i admit i didn't mind having time to get some work done today.

the sundance cut is about done. one hour and forty five minutes (and change) and looking and (mostly) sounding good. i might just take a deep breath sometime soon.

3 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger litprof said...

I recently got called myself. Lucked out and didn't get assigned to a case. And learned that people are very gullible and susceptible to be carried away by rhetorical manipulation involving the words "freedom," "citizen," and "justice."

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

you know, i actually went in wishing i didn't feel like i was too busy to serve, because i think the judicial system, in an ideal sense, is important. so i settled in to serve and decided i'd get interested and enjoy it, in spite of how busy i am. and then the whole panel got bounced, and i was glad to have my day back.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got called two days after MLA and a day before classes started last winter. Talk about annoying. I lost like two days to a BS whiplash case that plaintiff had tried and lost in four other districts (he sued in the county of his residence, of her rseidnce, of the location of the accident, and so on). I was actually pleasantly suprrised by my jury, who were all very bright people, and it sort of gave me a little faith in the system.

Good luck on the Sundance cut!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home