Saturday, January 14, 2006

Petty Grammar News

I flipped on TNT during halftime of the Broncos/Patriots playoff game (I am a football fanatic, what can I say?). And on the bottom of the screen is that helpful text (for latecomers) indicating what movie is playing.

It read: Your watching Underworld on TNT.

Maybe it only bothers me that a broadcast television network would screw up a basic grammar rule. I actually went to their website, got a general email address, and sent an email explaining that YOU'RE = YOU ARE. I know it will be ignored, and whoever reads it will think I am being petty. But it made me feel better.

The only thing worse would have been if it said: Your "watching" Underworld on TNT.

Sheesh.

3 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Tara Kuther said...

U R 2 funny


Just wait a few years and you'll likely see this scroll across your screen:

U R wachin Undaworld...

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a similar mistake on a *headline* in either the Washington Post or New York Times, and while part of the problem may be a lack of emphasis on grammar, I think the biggest problem is the rushed news cycle (and this applies to both TV and newspapers).

Not sure where to go with that comment other than to point out that it's pretty frustrating....

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

yeah, it's kind of hard to teach my writing students about the importance of grammar when the networks and newspapers don't really care. there was a time when both would have been horribly ashamed at such an error.

now... well, i sense that they won't even issue a mea culpa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home