Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sleeping in...

In one of my recent posts, I was talking about getting adequate weekend sleep time. So I thought I'd revisit the topic with some more detail.

I've never been a morning person. And now, as far as I've gotten in life, I'm convinced I never will be. I get up around 7am or before every morning, not because I want to or because I'm already awake, but because child #1 has to get to school, and since I am in my first year teaching, there is always stuff to be done anyway.

I got to thinking about the hours one can wake up, and what would be considered 'appropriate.'

  • Godawful Early: Anything in the sixes or sevens or earlier (i.e., 6am - 7:59am). A few months back, I actually had to get up at 4:30am to take a friend to the airport for an early flight. Why even bother going to bed? This is the hour (7am) I get up every morning, and by the end of the week, I could sleep for, well, a week.
  • Come Back Later: Anything in the eights (8:00-8:59am). I could get up, but I really don't want to yet, and I'll be tired and cranky if I do.
  • Appropriate Wake Time:The nines (9:00-9:59am). Yes, I've decided it's most appropriate to wake up somewhere in the nine o'clock hour.
  • A Little Indulgent: Sleeping into the tens seems immature now (note: yes, I crawled out of bed at 10:05am this morning -- I didn't say I wouldn't still do it if given the chance, just that it seems horribly indulgent to me.
  • Come On Now...: The elevens and beyond (11:00am-the rest of the day). In college and when I was first married, I would sleep til noon many Saturdays. If I do that now, I'm a mess the whole day. It's like having a sleep hangover. Too much sleep, and I just can't wake up properly. I feel like I've taken some heavy narcotics. (I also feel this way after naps, so I am obviously against those).

    That's my list. Optimal wake-up time: somewhere from 9am - 9:45am. Odds of me getting to wake up that time: 1 in 14 (expressed in terms of days in a week I might actually get to sleep in; Saturday is the only day available, and if I slept in one Saturday, it'll be my turn to get up with the kids the next week, so 1 out of 14 days, I'll get to sleep in.)

    That's depressing.

    On a separate note:

    GO FALCONS!!! Beat the Eagles!!

    We have what I would term a legitimate shot at going to the Super Bowl. Not saying we will. Just saying we CAN beat the Eagles. If we play consistently, which I admit we haven't done a lot this season. Nevertheless, I'm wearing my Vick jersey and putting the baby down for a nap when the game starts...

  • 10 Comments:

    At 10:24 AM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

    Love this! So, what label does my MWF rising hour get: 5 -5:30 am, depending on how prepped I am?

    Over the years I've figured out that 7 is an ideal rising time for me if I want to feel industrious and get stuff done in the morning. In pratice, every break I revert to going to bed at midnight and getting up around 8-8:30. (It used to take me a few weeks to revert to this, but over the last break, I reverted in about 2 days!)

    One of the things that gets me about sleep hours etc. is that everything I've seen about writing says, Write first - get up first thing in the morning and write before you do everything else. And all the advice about exercise says the same thing. And now I teach at 8 am so I'm not doing ANYTHING before class. I feel doomed...can't wait to not be teaching at 8 anymore!

     
    At 11:07 AM, Blogger bitchphd said...

    New Kid, you are insane.

    To me, 10-something is the ideal wakeup time. I slept 'til about noon today and yeah, I do have that sleep hangover, which sucks. I agree w/ the rest of your classification: 8 is just when it starts to be ok--not great, but not completely unreasonable--to wake up. 9 is better.

     
    At 1:26 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

    New Kid - in the fives? Ugh... I keep TRYING to get myself to get up at 6:30am so my morning can be a little more relaxed. As it is, I get up at 7am, and I have to get Child #1 dressed and fed, get myself showered and dressed, and get us both out the door to have her at school before 8am. But 5:30??? Really, there wouldn't be much sense in me going to bed if I had to get up that early.

    Prof B -- I agree... the eights are where it becomes reasonable. Anything before that is ungodly. Cracks me up when I have kids in my afternoon classes who tell me they are late because they overslept. The thing is, THAT excuse is one I actually buy, because when I was in college, I could sleep like that too.

     
    At 5:18 PM, Blogger chutry said...

    Bummer about the Falcons. I really didn't expect them to play so well in Mora's first season, so getting to the NFC Title game=gravy as far as I'm concerned.

    I'm not a morning person, either, but teaching five mornings a week is forcing me to be awake no later than 7:15 or so.

     
    At 6:00 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

    Chuck -- Yeah, I didn't think we'd end up in the NFC Championship game, so as I told my dad, I am proud that we got that far. And our offense has been inconsistent all year. With the exception of the playoff game vs. St Louis, I can't recall us marching up and down the field the way true championship teams do. Vick has to get a little more comfortable in the pocket. Hey, at least he stayed healthy all season.

     
    At 6:32 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

    It's so sad that I get a pathetic puritan satisfaction out of being up so much earlier than y'all....but then, since I'm the one who's suffering, I suppose it's good that I get SOMEthing out of it! ;-)

     
    At 6:59 PM, Blogger chutry said...

    New Kid, it works both ways, sometimes. I get a pathetic puritan satisfaction out of the fact that I work so late into the night (regularly after midnight when I'm on a "normal" schedule). Of course that's just my way of justifying waking up late. ;)

     
    At 7:41 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

    I totally get the puritan satisfaction thing. Don't think I don't feel smug about beating the assistants in and making the coffee every day. Not that I want. Not that I'm not forced to by my child's school schedule...

     
    At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    McNabb ...

    Expect no less from a Syracuse graduate, gentlemen~

     
    At 9:05 AM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

    McNabb is very good. Solid passer, great scrambler, and confident in the pocket. I hope to see Vick mature into that KIND of QB, while keeping his running game as a major part of his game (so teams really won't know what to do with him).

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home