Monday, January 16, 2006

Darkness Descends

My mood is particularly bleak today. As noted below, several fests seem to be notifying today, and I haven't heard a word. One of them is a major. The other two are relatively small and minor -- i.e., I was hoping to easily get into a few of those.

Granted, no fest is a given. But finding out that people are hearing from a tiny indie fest, and me not hearing anything, with my mood already low... well, I'm having a hard time even making my dinner tonight. I'm longing for 24 to come on so I can get lost in escapist television and perhaps forget that the film I've labored over is falling flat with so many festivals.

I just want to use some choice profanity and go on a rampage for a while. But (a) it wouldn't solve anything, and (b) I have a wife and three little kids, none of whom would appreciate the purpose of the ranting.

But really, just a lousy lousy day right now.


LATE UPDATE
: This day keeps getting better. An indie film screening series to which we submitted the film said, via email: "I must say that it was shot quite well and looked very professional. Even the actors did a good job BUT at 93 minutes it was just not funny. Everyone watching started looking the other way and talking amongst themselves about 10 minutes into the film."

Uh, ouch.

5 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Marie said...

hey, ive read some of your blogs pretty cool. Check out mine, if you got the time.

www.belladreamer.blogspot.com

enjoy,hopefully.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've talked via email, but the Bailiff is right. The tone of that rejection letter was inappropriate.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

glad to hear i'm not off my rocker. saying that everyone was so bored they started chatting was kind of insulting (as was the other assertion that it might work better as an 8-minute short -- suggesting i cut it from a FEATURE FILM to under 8 minutes).

sigh. i love this business.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dude - I feel your pain. I had a festival send me a rejection letter saying somthing to the effect of "We liked it, but if we screened it we'd have to handcuff people to their chairs to get them to watch it through to the end..." Nothing like brutal honesty from strangers, eh?

Well, buck up! My first feature was rejected by 75% of the festivals I submitted to (including SXSW, Sundance, and Slamdance) - but it got into distribution anyways.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

Nick -- thanks for your comments. That DOES make me feel better. I admit, other than fests, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to getting a 'quirky' film out there. If you're willing to share details, I'd love to know how you got the film distributed.

I checked out the site -- the film looks like the kind I'd enjoy.

Email me at TerminalMFA@yahoo.com if you want to discuss details off the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home