Sunday, August 28, 2005

A good day for blogging

Sunday seems like my best blogging day. After church, we come home and either everyone naps or almost everyone does. And since I never nap, I have a little quiet time. The two eldest kids are not napping right now, but they're engaged in some kind of fantasy game, which involves creating a fort behind a chair in the corner of the living room. As long as they don't awake my napping spouse, I am encouraging this behavior (I would anyway, because I like it when they have active imaginations).

So, I SHOULD be using this time to prep for tomorrow's classes. Just a little review. I'll do it in a few minutes, when I finish this post.

Finally watched the Brad Pitt-starring Troy. I've had the Netflix flick for three weeks (thank God they invented Netflix), since before I finished shooting the film. I wasn't in the mood for it the past few times I had time to watch a movie. And at two hours and forty-five minutes, it's a huge commitment. And I just knew it was going to be this slow-moving 'epic' that would bore the hell out of me.

So, it wasn't that bad. It just wasn't remarkable. Brad Pitt was suitably introspective as the warrior Achilles, who wants to be remembered forever. But his looks and his manner of speech made him seem an anachronism in this film. He was doing the faux British 'I'm in a movie with a bunch of foreigners who all have British accents so I guess I have to, too' accent. And he only does a so-so job with it. I actually think Pitt is a pretty decent actor who has taken some really offbeat roles. But he just didn't do it for me here.

The idea that Paris, played by Orlando Bloom, could start this mess by stealing a king's wife, and that NO ONE would be all that upset about this? That struck me as odd. They showed his brother get upset, but really no one seemed too bothered by it, especially, ya know, the soldiers who were all going to fight because of his inability to fall for a single woman.

Maybe I missed the scenes of discontent among the soldiers. I admit, I waa doing other things while I was watching.

Film Update: I am supposed to see a chunk of edited footage on Monday afternoon. The editor told me he was working towards having this 'chunk' done, though I don't know how much that is. I am hopeful for good things. I need to be hopeful, because I don't have time to start editing this myself right now, and if I end up feeling like I can't trust the editor (who is, admittedly, a student), then I will have to do just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home