Saturday, August 20, 2005

Newbie No Longer

Just a quick random thought -- I was reading New Kid's blog (see my blogroll at right, I'm too lazy to link it, sorry) -- and she was talking about not being a newbie anymore.

As much as I enjoyed being the new guy and getting all the attention last year, I'm really happy to be just one of the faculty now, that the students know me and like me. Especially now that there is another 'new guy' in the department. It's nice for someone else to come to ME for advice.

Weird thing about New Guy is that he did his B.A. and M.A. here before he went elsewhere to do the PhD. So, really, he knows more about this place than I do. When we left the office yesterday to head to another building for the all-university-faculty meeting, I had no idea where we were going (still, after a year!) and he knew exactly where to go.

But in terms of the depsrtment, the personalities, the tenure stuff, I've got more info than him, so he actually asks me questions.

And the best part: he's a nice guy, pretty cool, and a huge film buff. But he's a theory-guy, not a filmmaker, so I don't feel any pressure or competition. I think we'll get along well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home