Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Martini

The martini is Hollywood parlance for the final shot. Tomorrow, we will finish principal photography on my first feature film, and I can't believe it is already over, or that I am so tired. It's not really physical exhaustion. I AM physically tired, of course -- very tired.

But my primary exhaustion is mental. A director has to make so many decisions -- nearly every decision. And working with students, a director needs to be even more vigilant, because they have enthusiasm, but do not always understand their roles or your vision (but then, no one really does understand that vision like the director does).

I have rushed when I wish I had demanded more time, and I question the coverage I have on many scenes. On the other hand, there is genuinely funny and touching material here, not only in the writing, but from what I've seen of the dailies, much of it is showing up on screen, enhanced by terrific, heartfelt, and hilarious performances.

I am excited and apprehensive about postproduction. I don't know what to think. I don't know how I will have the proper time to edit this beast. But I really think, having seen some of the footage edited together in rough form by one of my student editors, that we have something special on our hands here.

2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting this far with the film. Keep us posted on how it's going.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home