Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Finally getting around to watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith, with Mr. Pitt and Ms. Jolie, and I can see that it was worth waiting for the DVD (or, perhaps, worth not bothering at all).

This movie is boring the hell out of me (otherwise I wouldn't be blogging about it right now, one hour and ten minutes into it, would I?). The scene at the moment: Brad Pitt is sneaking back into his house, I'm not sure why (to remove evidence? get a weapon? burn all of the things he gave to his wife? that last one is what he told her, but it doesn't seem like that's what he's actually trying to do).

So they're trying to kill each other in the house (shades of ˆThe War of the Roses, but with guns, and significantly less wit).

Problem: I don't give a flying flip about either of these characters. They're like Warner Bros. cartoon characters. They're highly-skilled assassins, but you know, the story didn't actually take any time to make us think of them as real people, instead of movie 'types', before they started going after each other. It's stupid, banal, and pointless.

Watching Brad Pitt brutally kicking his wife on screen -- not really doing anything for me either.

Again, to reiterate, I just don't care. When they get the 'drop' on each other, about to shoot, and Brad acts all 'husbandly' and stops, and then they kiss... it's not because this moment was destined to happen. It's because the movie needs it to happen, or the movie would end. So, even though there's no real attraction between them, they 'throw down' passionately.

I'm still writing because it's still boring. The idea that they would have a passionless marriage until they find out the truth, and would then be so turned on by each other... it's a writer's conceit, an idea that's not actually developed by the writing, the acting, or the directing (which is focused on whizz-bang effects and cool action, and not on character at all).

And if I see Angelina Jolie do one of her "I'm so hot and tough and smart" poses, I think I'll vomit.

1 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed, 100%.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home