Monday, January 30, 2006

Agent News

A while back, I mentioned that my friend in L.A. was going to take one of my scripts to his agent (and was going to manage me and my work himself).

So, he gave the script to his agent before Christmas. Weeks pass. The man kept not having time to read it. Which is normal in Hollywood. I'm hardly a priority for him. The next thing was that he had a funeral to go to. Promised my friend (his client) that he'd read it when he got back.

Friend called -- he lost the script. You can see where this is leading, right? So friend emails him a new pdf cop, he prints it out, promises to read it this past weekend.

So today, you could say i'm waiting anxiously. I was anxious this morning, before L.A. had even woken up. As the day wore on, to be honest, I kind of forgot.

And then I got a call from my wife -- seems my eldest daughter slipped on the gym floor in school and smacked her head hard enough to knock herself out. Okay, parental freak out. She woke up in the nurse's office, a little freaked herself (she's seven, and obviously justifiably upset at waking up and not remembering falling or anything).

Wife is at the doctor's office with her now -- I just got out of my class and am waiting on a phone call to see if I need to rush over there or if they're on the way home already...

So I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should just head over there, worried I might miss them if they're already headed home...

And THAT'S when my friend calls. I tell him the injury news. He says, "Well, that's your bad news for today. Do you want to hear your good news?"

So, Agent liked the script. Thinks it's very strong, a sellable piece, very timely, very 'now.' He as a few notes, but from what he relayed to my friend, they're not major. We're setting up a phone meeting between all three of us tomorrow, at which time I'm guessing he'll tell me what he thinks, give me his notes, and see if I can execute the notes. Friend tells me that the best-case scenario, what he's hoping for, is that Agent says "if you can execute these notes, I'll take it out to ## people in town."

So, think good thoughts. I need to "give good phone" tomorrow. And I was explicitly told by my friend to be sure not to be a dick when listening to his notes, lest I make both of us look bad. Not that I usually am one or anything, he says. He just wanted to warn me because it's HIS relationship with the agent on the line...

Going to go check on my daughter now. Think good thoughts there too, obviously.

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

First, I hope you're daughter is okay. That sounds really scary.

Second, yay on the agent thing!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger TerminalMFA said...

yes, thanks Laura -- she's fine. X-rays were negative for anything serious, and she is feeling okay other than a huge bump on her noggin.

she's milking it, of course, but she is her father's daughter ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home