Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Representin'

Or, more to the point, being represented.

I (sort of) have an agent. I say 'sort of' because it's not like we signed anything. But I secured a verbal commitment to send the script out to various companies after I make a few minor changes (I'm almost done with those).

So... weird. I expected this moment to feel very different.

I guess I'm more aware of the nature of the biz then I was years ago when I started this process, so while I am VERY pleased to finally have someone with legit connections working 'in my corner,' I am also acutely aware of how much of a 'first step' in the process this is. I've always HEARD that getting an agent isn't the 'end all/be-all' some people think it is. And while I was nervous, and while I attach a lot to this (emotionally, etc.), I guess I have a much more realistic view than I would have had years ago. (And it's not like anything is official YET anyway)...

I mean, if this were 10 years ago, my wife and I would have gone out to dinner to celebrate this event!

But tonight? Well, my eldest daughter had homework, the kids needed baths, my wife needs to work on the local girl scout council's cookie-sales location-scheduling... LOL, I guess it just felt like a much smaller blip on the radar screen today. Kinda puts things in perspective (in a good way).

I'm very happy about it -- but I know there's still a lot of work to do. I hope that doesn't sound bad to people who are really trying to get an agent. I know I'd probably be one of those people reading this and thinking, "what a jerk -- yeah, I'd say that too if I HAD an agent."

So I don't mean it to sound like it's not a big deal to me. It is. I'm just putting it in proper perspective for myself. I think I'll celebrate when/if I sell, or maybe when some hot actor reads it and loves it ;-)

But last night? I spent the entire evening researching stuff on the internet to execute the notes the agent gave. It all comes down to doing the work, right?

Feeling like the work actually might matter for a change? Well, THAT'S priceless...

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news! I understand how something like that can feel anticlimactic, but it's definitely a big step.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home